Dismantle the Trans-Pacific Partnership
A People’s Resistance to Corporate Globalization
Days of Action
In a Community Near You!
Bringing the Movement Against Corporate Power Back to the Streets!
The Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) pretends to be a 21st Century Trade Deal. It purports to “open new markets and create new business opportunities” for all participating countries. But 30 years of neoliberal free trade is enough to show us these corporate rights pacts only benefit the elite and increase inequality. The TPP can only create new barriers to an alternative economic future where living well and protecting the earth are more important than corporate profits. It will undermine the ability of communities to collectively decide what is in their best interests.
On May 11, just prior to a new TPP negotiating round in Peru, we call on the 99% who are harmed by corporate globalization to oppose the TPP in their community. There are many reasons for people to come together on this date:
- The TPP undermines access to fundamental medicines by extending monopoly protections for Big Pharma.
- The TPP empowers corporations to sue governments for environmental and health measures they do not like
- The TPP restricts Internet innovation and increases the surveillance of online interactions
- The TPP undermines Indigenous rights and human rights
- The TPP creates a race to the bottom on working conditions, environmental standards and all kinds of public regulations
- The TPP prioritizes large-scale corporate agriculture (GMOs, antibiotics, etc) over sustainable local farming
We can and must stand together against this latest corporate assault on democracy. On May 11, we can start to bring the anti-corporate globalization movement back to the streets. Hold community assemblies to discuss the problems with the TPP and the free trade model. Stage creative actions or stunts that draw attention to the TPP negotiations in Peru. Trans-national community resistance put a freeze on the WTO. It stopped the Free Trade Area of the Americas. It can stop the TPP.